ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

***Disclaimer: I am not discouraging or encouraging purchase of the products discussed in this blog.***

If you don't like what I say--hire me so that you will!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pilot Post!

Welcome!! I am so excited to begin this journey.  I hope you'll enjoy the ride (and invite 100 of your closest friends).

Movingrightalong.

Currently I'm in Alabama visiting my parents with my brother and sister before we all head back to school and the inspiration for this blog came on:. the commercial inciting (I use this word loosely) consumers to buy the Samsung Galaxy.  The premise is  buy the phone it's great blah blah blah, but the main point of interest. Get Ready.  Avatar the movie is already downloaded on the phone.  Yes, you read it right. Avatar. The 150 minute movie.  Really?! You think this feature is distinct enough to sway consumers to purchase your phone?  Think again.

My question is who  are you marketing to?  All campaigns have a target.  However, I believe they are simply marketing to everyone.  Avatar  is (currently) the highest grossing film of all time, so EVERYONE must want to have it pre-loaded onto their cell phone to watch at their convenience.  Oh yes, a 150 minute movie to drain my battery so that the only thing I can do with my phone is watch the movie, is a great idea.  FANTASTIC!  While I do not know the specs on the Galaxy,  I doubt it contains the storage capacity of say a Droid or an iPhone.  

Let's take the dissection further.  Do people even want to watch movies on their phone?  I understand that for those who travel often it's a perk, but those people may want to watch something else occasionally.  (If they're watching anything at all, because those who travel often are usually doing work on the plane.) Can they delete Avatar and upload new media or is it embedded?  So, who exactly is the ideal target?

In my opinion children are the perfect audience for this feature. Children love to watch movies.  They never tire of watching the same movies over and over.  Therefore my suggestion is this: market a cell phone type apparatus to children with this feature.  My friends who are mothers say their kids love to emulate their mothers by talking on the phone.  Why not design a product for children that looks like a cell phone and contains a feature where they can download their favorite shows and movies?  Just an idea.

All in all, Samsung did not do proper R & D ,and this product should never have come to fruition.

This is your Media Maven signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment