ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

***Disclaimer: I am not discouraging or encouraging purchase of the products discussed in this blog.***

If you don't like what I say--hire me so that you will!

Friday, September 10, 2010

BIG Bliss??

I am a bridal show junkie: Bridezillas, My Fair Wedding, Rich Bride Poor Bride, and my newest fave Say Yes to the Dress.   There's something magical about seeing two people who really love each other decide to it official.  So this morning when I saw that TLC has decided to make Say Yes to the Dress feature plus-size women I was excited.  The one thing I was not thrilled about was the name: Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss.

Big Bliss?! Are. You. Serious.  Why do you have to emphasize the season is featuring plus-size women? Is it too hard to keep the original name of the show and let the faithful audience pick up on the fact that the brides are plus-size?  The ultimate insult to injury is the fact that they are calling the brides big and then add bliss. Is that supposed to conjure up some image of a beautiful blissful big bride?  What's next Say Yes to the Dress: Indian Sari's, Say Yes to the Dress: Mazel Tov!, Say Yes to the Dress: Jumping the Broom!!  We already know our culture loves to put people into boxes and it affects us all in various ways.  It just kills me that on one of things we all seem to do regardless of our differences the show found yet another way to point out our (obvious) differences.

Do I think the show is a great idea? Yes. As a woman I love watching brides of all backgrounds and body-types find The Dress.  Just change the name. That is my BIG request.

5 comments:

  1. there is no like option on this. But I like it either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who came up with that horrendous idea?! well put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think America should be over Twiggy. She was not beautiful. Keep looking at women who have curves. They are BEAUTIFUL not bones.

    ReplyDelete